Social Translation of Written Material?

I just wrote up a thought about social translation (i18n/l10n) of project websites, blogs, etc.: Social Translation of Written Material?

Maybe this fits in the FSDL community, though more broadly all communities. I have been finding more and more good work (free software in this case) in other languages, and wanting to translate it to my language and then publish the translation, for outreach. And facilitate anyone wanting to translate my writing or any that I’m involved with.

I suppose there are some sort of tools, communities, processes somewhere – I don’t mean commercial standard practices, I mean social processes like FSDL – but I haven’t heard of these. Have you?

1 Like

There’s also an aspect involving Fediverse messaging I’d be interested to explore – it would be nice to somehow make “translate and boost” more first-class-concept than what I do now which is ad-hoc “reply” stating “here’s that person’s message translated to my language”.

1 Like

Working together on a translation would be a nice additional thing, but is I think not the primary issue.

I’m thinking at the “social web” level: “I found this article on the internet, now I’m making a translation of it because I want you to read it too, and I’m using this (ad-hoc standard) way to let the originator and other readers know about it.”

I care most about a distributed way to let the originator and other readers know about it. That’s how it’s related in some way to a concept like federated “translate-and-boost”.

It reminds me also of the efforts to create standards for distributed “commenting” on web pages – like w3c Web Annotation Data Model; tools using it include (matrix based) Populus Viewer, whose “Prior Art” section lists some others.

1 Like