Design System Culture

At Smashing Meets: Design Systems on 2022-11-14T23:00:00Z Ben Callahan gave a talk on how the culture impacts the design system (and vice versa). He also glimpses into how collaboration is possible (or not).

My takeaway is this paper:

The recordings are expected to be uploaded next week. I will add a reply here with a link once I learn about them.

2 Likes

It recalls me Conway’s law:

Any organization that designs a system (defined broadly) will produce a design whose structure is a copy of the organization’s communication structure.

There are some examples in the paper where Conway first described his obervations, I may also try to provide some from my own experiance if you were interested in the topic.

I’ve seen it sometimes used by change managers / organizational agile cauches as an argument for cross-functional teams structure so there are many articles in the internet mentioning it in this context.

1 Like

It is great that you mention Conway’s Law. To me the question would be:

How would the decentralized organization structure look like that takes the grassroots dynamics and culture of Fediverse and Free Software movement into account?